About Us

Historic Cane Hill, Inc. is dedicated to the preservation of the historically significant structures of Cane Hill as well as western Washington County. This includes the many small communities around present-day Canehill, Arkansas. Historically, members of these small communities interacted with one another and shared a common sense of place.

Historic Cane Hill seeks to build on the legacies of architecture, education, and the arts by providing programs and a venue to experience art and culture rooted in the history of the region and the beautiful natural surroundings of the Ozark Mountains.

Historic Cane Hill, Inc. is an Arkansas non-profit and Federal 501(c)(3).

As such, donations to Historic Cane Hill are tax-deductible. The organization is governed by a six-member Executive Board. Historic Cane Hill also seeks community input through an advisory board.

Contact us at 479-824-4455 or by email at info@historiccanehillar.org.

How to Find us

Historic Cane Hill is located on Arkansas Highway 45, approximately 20 miles southwest of Fayetteville and six miles east of the Oklahoma border.

• From the Northwest Arkansas metro area – take I-49 to exit 62. Go west on US-62 through Farmington and Prairie Grove. Turn south on Arkansas Highway 45 (before reaching the town of Lincoln). The Museum will be on your right.

• From Tulsa, Oklahoma – take US-412 to Siloam Springs, turn south on US-59 through Summers, and US-62 south through Lincoln, turn south again on Arkansas Highway 45 and continue to Historic Cane Hill. The Museum will be on your right.

Our History

1829

Cane Hill Township is created at the first session of the Washington County Court.

June 1830

The Cane Hill Post Office is established. The location undergoes name changes, including Steam Mill, and Boonsboro.

DECEMBER 1850

Cane Hill Collegiate Institute receives a charter from the State.

NOVEMBER 1862

Battle of Cane Hill – A 12-mile running battle nine days prior to the Battle of Prairie Grove.

1875

The Cane Hill Female Seminary unites with Cane Hill College to become the first co-educational college in Arkansas.

1982

Thirteen properties in Cane Hill are listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

August 2013

Cane Hill College transfers organization and ownership of college building to Historic Cane Hill, Inc.

April 2020

Cane Hill Presbyterian Church restoration complete.

Our Staff

Vanessa McKuin

Executive Director

Lawrence McElroy

Director of Arts & Culture

David Collins

Public Programs Manager

Board Members

John Greer

Chair

Jerry Leach

Chair Emeritus

Neil Helm

Treasurer

Susan Young

Secretary

Tim Leach

Board Member

Mike Greene

Board Member

Advisory Board

Betty Coburn

Advisory Board

Scott Davis

Advisory Board

Bonnie Haegele

Advisory Board

Jerry Hogan

Advisory Board

Jim Lewis

Advisory Board

Dwain Manske

Advisory Board

Daylene Reed

Advisory Board

Leonard 'Archie' Reed

Advisory Board